9.12.11

DIY Convertible Clasp Singlet

clasps

American Apparel has this pretty sweet deal where you can get 10 not-so-perfect t-shirts for $50.  Honestly, I haven't really found anything major that makes these shirts not perfect, so it's great to have a heap of random colours for DIY projects such as these!

DIY CONVERTIBLE CLASP SINGLET

Enter le boring cotton crew-neck:

DIY skirt and top-0150-8

Step 1:
I decided that I wanted a baggy oversized singlet to beat the heat, so I did a bit of chopping.  It'd probably be better if you trace out an old singlet, to avoid cutting the neckline too low.  Chop off the neck and the sleeves, as well as the bottom hem if you like.

DIY skirt and top-0152-9DIY skirt and top-0155-10

Step 2: 
Give the cut edges a pull, so that the material curls in on itself.

DIY skirt and top-0157-11

I ended up pulling it a bit much and wore the straps down to thin!  So from here on, it was pretty much improvised...

Step 3:
Separate the straps and sew on a jump ring to each of the front straps, and a clasp for each of the back straps.

DIY skirt and top-0159-12
DIY skirt and top-0161-14DIY skirt and top-0160-13

Et voila!
This is how your strap should look:

clasps up close

Style it:
Now the beauty of it is that you can play switcheroo with the straps to change the look of your top!  Wear it as a plain singlet, knot the straps, or cross them over:

basic
knotted up closeknotted
crossover

Here's a few possibilities I tried:

32 - Back41

Too easy, right?  When I come back from my holiday, I might try making one out of silk - it hopefully should hold the draping just as well and not have as much stretch as the cotton jersey.  I'd also like to add some studs to this one, just to see how it goes.

xx T

P.S. check out our new tumblr!  I'll be keeping an eye on this whilst S manages our Pinterest account - hit us up with your tumblr so we can follow you :D  

SHARE THIS POST

16 comments:

  1. T you are so talented and creative it blows my mind. Seriously. Right now I'm trying to pick up pieces of my mind from the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing T - unfortunately for those of us that need a bit more boob support it could be tricky :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is easy and yet the combination is endless, such a smart idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not one for DIY but this looks yummy! Gorgeous blog you guys have ♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is a super cute idea, love it xxx

    www.southmoltonststyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. thinking about this idea. i wanna try next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh that is so clever. i love it, the clasps are so cute

    www.herpersona.blogspot.com
    www.herpersona.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! This great! I will try it.

    http://blog.lescerisiersenfleurs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU GUYS. SERIOUSLY?! GENIUS. Using jewelry clasps was so smart! Once it's summer (here, haha) I must try this.
    Erin @ www.thanksimadeitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that looks AMAZING - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic idea! I'm definitely going to try it immediately!
    Check out my tumblr http://purenarcotics.tumblr.com/
    xx
    http://nobigtruth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really interesting, the simplicity of the design makes it a DIY to remember. so lovely!

    http://sleepydarlings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a great idea, love it. nice blog btw

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg this is seriously so clever, I love the cross-over at the back style, but I can see myself attempting this and ruining it! haha but still so clever! x

    ReplyDelete

We take time to read each and every comment - thanks for visiting Le.Fanciulle!

Le.Fanciulle. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.