10.5.13

DIY Washer Necklace

Inspired by this Marc by Marc Jacob bolt necklace, here is a simple DIY that can be the elusive 'outfit-completer' that we often require.  With chunky jewellery on the back-burner and delicate pieces now in vogue, this fine chained necklace is a very easy way to update your collection of statement necklaces and arm parties into the current accessory timez.

I used washers in this case, mainly due to my inability to tell the difference between a washer & a nut, but I'm happy with how it turned out anyway.  Very thin bolts would look more like the original version.

Supplies
1m thin gold-coloured chain
Gold washers from any hardware
A surgical toolkit*

*Feel free to replace the surgical tools with jewellery pliers, although I think you'd need very small pliers to work with this kind of thin chain.
Le Fanciulle (81 of 91).jpg

Step 1
Decide how much space you'd like between each washer & cut lengths of chain double that length.
Lay it all out before starting to cut the chain and ensure it's going to be long enough to fit over your head.

Le Fanciulle (82 of 91).jpg

Step 2
Put 2 washers on one peice of chain.
Open up one link on the edge, and attach it to the other end making a loop, then close it up with the pliers.

Le Fanciulle (87 of 91).jpg
Le Fanciulle (86 of 91).jpg
DSC_0983
Le Fanciulle (88 of 91).jpg

Step 3

Repeat that multiple times until all the washers are attached in loops.
Voilà, finished.  It's very simple.


Le Fanciulle (89 of 91).jpg
Le Fanciulle (90 of 91).jpg

Since this necklace, I've made another with the bolts closer together at the front and a longer chain around the back (picture here), which I much prefer.

Next project: this.


xx S
SHARE THIS POST

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome little DIY!

    Before even reading past the first paragraph, I knew this was a post by S... your writing sounds like you haha!

    You inspire me to want to get onto a DIY, but somehow I just can't ever find the time!

    xx
    Mon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had the patience for this. It's so cute & dainty. Not what comes to mind when you think of washers.
    & thank you for adding me to local list of bloggers!


    sassyshann

    ReplyDelete

We take time to read each and every comment - thanks for visiting Le.Fanciulle!

Le.Fanciulle. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.