20.9.13

DIY: What a Novel Clutch!

So you think this is a normal book? 
Not quite...

IMG_6754

I loved the book-style clutches the first time I saw them.  As a bookworm from way back (granted the books have sadly become non fiction of late), certain books can bring back so many memories.  Carrying a childhood book in the form of one of these quirky clutches would spark many a conversation, and there's nothing like striking up new friendships with randoms in the street!  (really!)

We decided it was high time to create a Le Fanciulle version of these clutches, since there is an absolute street style epidemic of them and we hardly have the moolah to afford one of Olympia Le Tan's handmade-in-france delicacies.

IMG_6770
IMG_6781

If you want to see how easy it is to make one of these, read through!

Materials
 - 1  attractive hardcover book
I sourced my book from a local opshop for $3

- 1 box (or you can use a box lid if you find that is a better size) that is the same depth as the book is fat, but smaller width and length than the cover (see pic)
I strongly advise buying the box/box lid first and then finding the book to fit. There will be pleeenty of books, but far fewer size options in boxes

- Gold paint
I started with the acrylic paint below, but then discovered it was a gross yellow gold, so upgraded to gold spaypaint.  The spray paint worked much better.

- Super glue

- A clasp (more info below)

IMG_4652
IMG_4653
^^see the sizing above? the box is just the right width/depth/length

Step 1: Paint the box
Now I was a fool and bought an acrylic paint in "old gold" that translated to "gross yellow" on the box I chose, so after a speedy trip to the hardware for gold spray paint, the error was corrected.

IMG_4658
IMG_4659

You're strongly advised to don your painting shorts (everyone has a pair of these right?)

IMG_4666
IMG_4671
IMG_4682IMG_4677

Step 2: Rip the pages out
Try to leave the binding as intact as possible. This will make your clutch much less flimsy.

IMG_4679
IMG_4681

STOP!  Snack break time.  

Strawberries are so cheap at the moment!

IMG_4684

Step 3: Glue the box into the book.
Using super glue, I covered the box surfaces and pressed it into the book where I wanted it.

IMG_4691
IMG_4694

Step 4: Attach the (for-decoration-only) clasp.
This was the main dilemma of the project.  I wanted my clutch to have a clasp, but no local shops sold any that would actually be functional in closing the clutch.  A good compromise was getting one of these just to make it look good, and once I realised it didn't actually need a closing device (you clutch a clutch closed at all times!), it was fine.

My next one (that's right, there will be a version 2.0) will be using a fastener like an old diary, as suggested by one of my friends.

IMG_4701
IMG_4709

Step 5: Fill with necessities (necessiTeas?)

Tea bags - need no explanation
Card holder - in case of hunger/spontaneous shopping/petrol shortage
Sunglasses - if it's sunny?
Chubby stick - only the best
Keys + Paris key ring

IMG_6764
IMG_6785
IMG_6777


Will you have a go at one of these?  Such a fun, simple project.  If a bozo like me can do it, anyone can.


xx S
SHARE THIS POST

7 comments:

  1. Great work girls! Another inspiring post! Xxx Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a clever take - I've seen similar DIYs using video boxes but I much prefer yours. I might try and scour the local Sallies/Second hand book store for a suitable book and keep my eyes peeled for a box to fit - I just love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shut. Up. I will pay you handsomely to make one of these for me! Gahhh love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Might just have to give it a go :p
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing and great idea must try it soon

    ReplyDelete

We take time to read each and every comment - thanks for visiting Le.Fanciulle!

Le.Fanciulle. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.